Another week, another win…
Or at least that’s what most prep football teams, as well as sports writers that are foolish enough to pick the outcomes of those games, are hoping for.
We have six prep football teams in the “Southern Six” that remain unbeaten heading into week three of action, including four in Jackson County (which is exactly half of the number of teams in that county). We do have a few local teams that are off this week. But the rest of them across our coverage are ready to go, and so hopefully is Rock’s Locks.
That wasn’t the case so much, however, last week, as after a stellar opening week of picks in week one going 10-3 we stumbled a bit last week and went just 8-5.
It’s a lifetime commitment, recovering the satellites…
- George County at Ocean Springs (Game of the Week) — The Greyhounds finally get home after a pair of road wins to open the season by hosting the Rebels. This is the 51st meeting all-time on the gridiron between these long-standing foes, making it one of the top five series for longevity purposes on both sides. Ocean Springs has dominated this series of late, winning nine of the past 11 games, including a 51-28 decision last season in Lucedale. The Greyhounds have cruised to a pair of victories so far this season, while the Rebels have yet to find victory lane. Don’t expect much to change in either of those departments this week…Ocean Springs 38, George County 13.
- Moss Point at Vancleave — A pair of Jackson County squads headed in seemingly different directions on this young campaign face off at Bulldog Stadium, as the unbeaten Bulldogs host the win-less Tigers. Vancleave stands 2-0 for the first time under head coach Kevin Fant and for the first time in four seasons. The Bulldogs have opened the season with two straight wins three times in the past 10 years, but haven’t been 3-0 in a season since 2010. Moss Point is already 0-2 after facing two other teams from Jackson County this year, we don’t see a reason to buck that trend. Vancleave 27, Moss Point 12.
- Gulfport at Picayune — One of the six unbeaten teams in our coverage area won’t be 3-0 next week, as the unbeaten Maroon Tide host the undefeated Admirals at Triplett-Lee Stadium Friday night. Picayune has been a bit more impressive in its two wins over what seems to be a tad bit tougher competition so far, which is good enough for us…Picayune 28, Gulfport 10.
- Hancock at Greene County — One team is coming off its first win of the season and one is coming off its first loss, as the Hawks head to Leakesville to face off with the Wildcats in just the third meeting ever between the teams. Hancock fell to Vancleave 20-19 last week, giving up a 19-0 first-half lead. Meanwhile, GCHS pulled out a late win, just as VHS did, and knocked off arch-rival George County 22-15 on the road. We like the home-field advantage in this one. Greene County 27, Hancock 20.
- D’Iberville at Jefferson Davis County — Both teams are coming off losses in week two after each registered wins to open the season. This is the third meeting all-time between the schools, and the Warriors are 2-0 in the series. D’Iberville is led on defense by Marcus Gowdy, who recorded 15 tackles last week, and Marcus Washington, who picked off a pair of interceptions and recovered a fumble in week one. We’re a bit shaky on this one, but we’ll take the Class 6A Warriors in a close one over the Class 3A Jags. D’Iberville 21, JDC 20.
- Bay High at Long Beach — Tiger running back Jaylen Antoine tallied five touchdowns for the Tigers in a 38-7 win over Sumrall last week, running for a pair of scores, catching two more and returning a kickoff for a touchdown as well. We expect more of the same this week against the Bearcats, who have lost 21 consecutive games. Bay High 35, Long Beach 7.
- Stringer at Resurrection — The Eagles have soared to a 2-0 mark so far under the direction of new head coach Eric Denmark, cruising to a pair of pretty easy wins. We think this week will be a bit more of a struggle, but we see RCS flying to another win. Resurrection 24, Stringer 14.
A six pack to go:
St. Martin 39, West Marion 13
East Central 28, South Pike 20
West Harrison 13, St. Helena (La.) 8
Pass Christian 23, Purvis 20
Poplarville 40, Lumberton 14
Oak Grove 24, Hattiesburg 13