There’s almost nothing I love more than a great glass of wine and a charcuterie board (especially if it’s happy hour!), and there are so many great ones to try on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. A charcuterie board is usually served as an appetizer and has gained popularity over the past few years. It can include anything from meats, cheeses, fruit, olives, nuts, crackers, and spreads (like jams or jellies) or accompaniments like honey mustard or sauces for dipping. People love charcuterie because you can sample different cheeses and meats that you may not have ever thought to try before. The best boards focus on variety, taste, and texture and pair sweet, salty, crunchy, fatty, savory, and pickled flavors together. Most of these flavors pair well with wine or cocktails, therefore making it the perfect before-dinner snack.
- White Pillars Restaurant and Lounge in Biloxi has a great cheese board that comes with Thomasville Tomme, Asher Blue, Chevre, Walden cheese, house-made head cheese, and duck liver pate for $25. White Pillars is located at 1696 Beach Boulevard in Biloxi.
- The Wilbur Bar inside of The Roost Hotel in Ocean Springs offers a charcuterie spread with seasonal fruits and cheeses, cured meats, house-seasoned nuts, olives, and toasted pita for $18. The Wilbur is located at 604 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs.
- SeaGrapes Wine Cafe in Gulfport offers a charcuterie board featuring prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, assorted gourmet salamis, hams, dried meats, and jams served with crostini and homemade olive salad for $9.50. They also offer a fruit and cheese board with wedges of distinctive cheeses and fresh fruits served with seasoned crostini for $8.50. SeaGrapes is located at 2419 14th Street, Gulfport.
- The Lady May in Ocean Springs has a snack board that includes sausage, pepperoni, gouda, goat cheese with honey, cheddar, pickled veggies, bacon jam, mango sriracha hummus, sliced pear, candied pecans, and bagel chips for $18. They also have a brunch board that includes Belgian waffles, 9-grain toast, bacon, bacon jam, sausage, cheddar, fruit, boiled eggs, house jelly, cream cheese, and honey butter. The Lady May is located at 708 Washington Avenue, Ocean Springs.
- The Rack House Steak and Spirits in Gulfport has a charcuterie board that includes meats and cheeses accompanied with olives, pickles, grapes, and an assortment of sauces served with herb infused olive oil toasted baguettes for $17. Rack House is located at 1301 26th Avenue in Gulfport.