The last 24 hours have been a whirlwind of updates and statements by state and local officials, businesses, and organizations. Below are some of the top updates that have come into Our Mississippi Home.
- From MGCCC, “As recommended by our local, state and federal officials, we are taking measures to keep our students and employees safe and will extend spring break through March 29, 2020.”
– Students should prepare for online classes to go into effect on March 30th.
– Residence Halls will remain closed through the extended Spring Break.
– Although most college employees will not report to work March 23rd – 29th, they should remain available in the event they are needed to carry out essential responsibilities for the institution. Supervisors will contact employees during that week to discuss adjustments to schedules and processes to ensure continuity of business and support of MGCCC’s students should it be necessary.
– Full-time employees will continue to be paid during the extended break.
- Chick-Fil-A dining rooms are closed, drive-throughs are still open.
- ALL Jackson-George County Libraries are now closed.
- The Salvation Army KROC Center is now closed. – There is a FREE online option for Les Mills fitness classes.
- United Way of Jackson & George Counties is canceling all meetings until further notice.
- City of Gautier – “The City of Gautier services will remain open, but the public is urged to conduct City business through telephone, online and through the utility payment dropbox. Utility bills may be paid online, and records requests can be made online.”“We are monitoring the situation closely and will communicate any changes to the public as decisions are made,” City Manager Paula Yancey said. “The safety of our citizens and City staff is of utmost importance as we weigh important decisions regarding the novel coronavirus.”
Mississippi Public Service Commission
- In a special meeting on Sunday, March 15, the Mississippi Public Service Commission voted to temporarily suspended disconnections of certain utility services. The restriction will be in place for 60 days and apply to all water, sewer, electricity and gas services.
- Gulfport School District: March 16-20
- Long Beach School District: March 16-20
- Pass Christian School District: March 16-20
- Harrison County School District: March 16-20
- Biloxi School District: March 16-20
- Bay-Waveland School District: March 16-20
- Pascagoula-Gautier School District: March 16-20
- Moss Point School District: March 16-20
- Hancock County School District: March 16-20
- Cedar Lake Christian Academy & Preschool: March 16-20
- Catholic Diocese of Biloxi schools: March 16-20
- Jackson County School District: March 16-20
- Greene County School District: March 16-20
- Pearl River County School District: March 16-20
- George County School District: March 16-30
- Poplarville School District: March 16-20
- Picayune School district: March 16-20
- Coast Episcopal School in Long Beach: March 16-20
Office of Jackson County Board of Supervisors
Animal Shelter – https://www.co.jackson.ms.us/165/Pet-Adoptions
- View adoptable pets online
- Only come to the shelter if you are serious about adopting a pet that you have seen online OR to reclaim your pet
- Limit the number of people in your party – the shelter is going to take steps to limit the number of individuals in the shelter at one time
- Keep your visit short
If you have a case pending and have an attorney, contact your attorney for updates regarding changes to court dates. Otherwise, please contact the relevant court if you have not already been contacted.
- Circuit Court – 288-769-3040
- Justice – 228-769-3080
- County Court – 228-769-3037
- Chancery Court – 228-769-3453
- Youth Court – 228-769-3076
Community Centers – https://www.co.jackson.ms.us/247/Community-Centers
- The Community Centers will be reaching out to event organizers to reschedule events through March 31, 2020
- Event planners will be contacted by community centers, however, they are also welcome to call the specific center first
Recreation Facilities – Email [email protected]
- All County athletic facilities are closed including the bathrooms beginning March 17, 2020 until TBD
- Parks and playgrounds will remain open for now, however, we are asking that people refrain from holding large gathering events such as birthday parties
Whispering Pines Golf Course
- The course will remain open at this time
- The grill will only have meals to go
- Golfers are encouraged to come in small groups of less than 6 and to avoid spending time in the clubhouse
- Any changes will be posted by the Golf Course Staff
Veterans Affairs – 228-769-3075
- The office is closed, however, you can still contact by phone
Gulf Coast Chamber of Commerce
- March 20th – WE: Women Educating, Enriching & Engaging : Moved to May 8th
- March 25th– Speed Networking: Moved to July 14
- March 26th – Chamber After 5 Coast Episcopal – Cancelled
Jackson County Chamber of Commerce
- The Jackson County Chamber of Commerce is seeking to identify challenges and facilitate resolutions for Jackson County businesses and workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Chamber line 228-762-3391 is open. We are working with several local churches to ensure last resort childcare options are available throughout the school closure period.
- Read the JC Chamber Covid-19 update
City of Biloxi
- Municipal court closed for two weeks
- Classes: Biloxi Public Schools are not in session this week.
City centers: The Biloxi Natatorium and Donal M. Snyder Sr. Community Center are closed until further notice.
Public libraries: Public libraries in Biloxi and throughout Harrison County will be closed to the public Tuesday through Saturday this week. Library leaders will evaluate later in the week whether to extend the closure.
Senior Olympics: All events scheduled through April 2 for the Mississippi Senior Olympics have been postponed until a later date. To visit the MSO website, click here.
Senior programs: All classes and field trips scheduled for March through the City of Biloxi Senior Programs have been canceled. To see information about the city’s senior programs, click here.
Sports: All City of Biloxi baseball and softball leagues have suspended games and practices through the end of the month. To see more about Biloxi sports programs, click here.
City of Gulfport
Postponed-Gulfport Chamber of Commerce’s 2020 Military Affairs Breakfast
- All matters scheduled for an in-Court appearance before any Municipal Court Judge in the Gulfport Municipal Court shall be, and hereby are, CONTINUED, pending further Order of the Court
- The Gulfport Municipal Court remains open, and staff in the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office will be available as directed by its Court Administrator. Mail will be received and the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office will remain open for filings or other submissions to the Court. The public is encouraged to continue utilizing the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office so long as they follow the directives of the Court Administrator, as well as all applicable public health guidelines.
- Easter Egg Hunt postponed.
If you have updates that you would like to get out to the community, please email information to [email protected].