Aktion Club Week, March 2-6, recognizes people of all abilities who join to help their community. Aktion Club – a Kiwanis International program – provides an opportunity for members to develop initiative and leadership skills through service.
The Aktion Club of South Mississippi is participating in a number of events to show appreciation to the community and promote the causes of Kiwanis International:
Aktion Club Week Activities
SHOW YOUR K IN EVERY WAY – MONDAY MARCH 2ND
Tell everyone you know about Aktion Club by spreading the word about it. It’s easy! Things you can do:
- Wear your Aktion Club gear, such as t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, pin or anything Aktion Club. Talk about your club to anyone you see.
- We will have an announcement at the Dream Program Basketball game about Aktion Club week.
KUDOS TO AKTION – TUESDAY MARCH 3RD
This is a day to recognize our members of Aktion Club for all the work they do.
- We will have lunch at the Hilton Garden Inn in Pascagoula with the Kiwanis Club at 12pm. Tell Jen or Pam, if you will be able to join them for lunch.
DARE TO CARE – WEDNESDAY MARCH 4TH
Share Aktion Club and your passion for serving others with your favorite local charities! Consider some of the following ideas to participate on this day:
- Volunteer at a local food pantry or soup kitchen.
- Volunteer by helping a neighbor mow their lawn or rake some leaves
- You can do anything…just do something!
KINDNESS IN AKTION – THURSDAY MARCH 5TH
A smile goes a long way. Spread happiness throughout your community by doing little random acts of kindness. Example:
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Put change in a vending machine.
- Smile at everyone you see today.
- Write a thank-you note to someone who has made a positive impact on you.
- Start a conversation with someone who is standing alone.
KINDNESS IN AKTION – FRIDAY MARCH 6TH
Celebrate the entire family of Kiwanis by engaging with all local Kiwanis family clubs—Builders Club, Key Club, Circle K, K-Kids and Kiwanis.
- Aktion Club will host a Game Night at the Dream Program Center at 6pm. Drinks, food and games provided by the Aktion Club. This is for getting new members and inviting our K Family to one of our favorite Dream Program activities.
KIWANIS RUN2GIVE 5K – SATURDAY, MARCH 7 AT 8AM AT BEACH PARK, PASCAGOULA
“In South Mississippi, we believe it’s important to give adults of all abilities the opportunity to give back to their community, to participate in service and to have time together in an atmosphere that allows fellowship and fun,” said Jennifer Kaup, Aktion Club advisor.
The Aktion Club program began in 1987. Today, more than 500 clubs further the Kiwanis International mission of serving the children of the world.
“Our club has 20 members and we meet regularly to work on our service projects,” said Kaup. “Our club members are ages 18 and up, and each member contributes to our club and to our service projects.”
The Kiwanis Club of Pascagoula is the local Aktion Club sponsor and works with community partners like Chevron, Foster-Brimm Consulting, Compton Engineering, Bienville Orthopaedic, Enviva Biomass, Baber Strunk Enterprises and many others.
“Kiwanis clubs make a difference in the community,” said Tammy Moore, club president. “Our goal is to make sure every child has the opportunity to be happy, healthy, safe and loved. By working with Aktion Club, Kiwanians reach individuals who otherwise might be excluded from service activities and yet can give so much back to their communities.”
Every year, Kiwanis club members around the world donate a combined 18.5 million hours of volunteer service. Clubs often provide help in communities where budgets have been cut or social services have been reduced. Each Kiwanis club determines the best way to meet the needs of the community. Some give