Nothing gets you into the holiday spirit more than enjoying of the beauty of the season in carefully and lovingly crafted light displays. Mississippi is so very fortunate to be the home to so many of these wonderful light displays sponsored by cities or organizations or Christmas enthusiasts. A road trip to see many of these Christmas extravaganzas will bring treasured family memories.
Here is a collection of some of the most magical light displays throughout Mississippi.
- Heralded as “the biggest light show in Mississippi” by Only in Your State, the Gulfport Harbor Light Winter Festival is a breathtaking experience that takes you right into the heart of the season. Whether you take a stroll through the displays that contain over 1,200,000 sparkling lights or take the heated train ride, you’ll be enchanted and leave with a renewed sense of wonder for the season.
- Prancer Path in Downtown Laurel, sponsored by the United Way of the Pine Belt Region, leads you down the path and reindeer cul-de-sacs filled with unique and beautiful trees artfully crafted by local businesses in the Pine Belt. And you’ll be serenaded by some of great Christmas music.
- Cindy Wilson Moore is already lighting up the skies at her home at 459 Matthews Road in Laurel. Beautiful lights twinkle in coordination with Christmas classics for a wonderful display. Pleasant Home Baptist Church across the street from her home has parking and Moore invites guests to “bring chairs and blankets” to sit in the grassy area to enjoy the whole show which lasts for about thirty minutes. You’ll be immersed into the holiday spirit as you enjoy the music and orchestrated light display which started almost 20 years ago with just a string or two of lights around the home.
- “Our mission is to bring a little joy into the lives of the kids and older guests that might not get a chance to see the larger displays in other places,” Moore said. “It is a blessing to us to bring some to the season to so many. I could tell you so many stories that guests have told me of how they brought sick family members or grieving families to see the lights and it just brings tears of joy to us that hopefully we can let them forget about any of their pains or problems in their lives for a while.” It is those many heart-wrenching stories that inspires “the Good Lord to help me get out there and put these lights up every year.”
- Take a trip to Chunky, Mississippi, and enjoy an exciting tour through the Lazy Acres in Lights. They are “bringing Christmas magic to Mississippi with our wagon rides through the lights, visits with Santa, delicious hot chocolate, Christmas trees, holiday photo ops, and SO much more!” Bring the family to the farm and delight in the beautiful lights surrounding this lovely farm.
- Enjoy “Mississippi’s original City of Lights” in Canton as they have already kicked off the holiday season on the Historic Canton Square. As if you’ve stepped into a Hallmark Christmas movie, the charming town is bedazzled with lights all around the square and the many beautiful displays. The festival began in 1989 and has continued to grow in attractions and fun for everyone. Take your pic by the 40-foot twinkling tree that stands beside the courthouse and enjoy the carnival rides. Each year, a new addition is added to the display to keep families coming to enjoy the Christmas spirit.
- Featured in “The Great Christmas Light Fight 2018” on ABC, the Richardson Light in Madison, is a gorgeous, family residential drive-by display that overwhelms with the beauty of over 100,000 lights, over 200 inflatables, and several hundred wireframes, and most importantly the message of the display. The mission of the display is “to inform our guests about the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ. Without him, we would have no reason to celebrate this wonderful holiday.”
- Experience Christmas in Downtown Columbia. Transformed into “a Winter Wonderland” this year, Columbia is as beautiful and enchanting as always. Enjoy the beautiful lights, delicious treats, and gorgeous light displays, not to mention that they have the largest free-standing digital Christmas Tree in America that is 14 stories high. You can even try your skills ice skating for a truly magical Christmas experience.
- Southern Lights in Central Park in DeSoto County is a delightful ride through the 116-acre park that is alit with 500,000 twinkling lights. While in DeSoto County, enjoy the Christmas traditions presented by Cedar Hill Farm for the annual light show and RailRoad Ride and enjoy the Christmas Light Show synchronized to favorite Christmas tunes. You’ll be enthralled by the narrated story of the birth of Jesus and you’ll even get to take a trip around the North Pole. There will also be fire pits for family and friends to enjoy along with lots of hot cocoa.
- Christmas in the Park in Collins is held on select nights, and this gorgeous light display tells the wondrous story of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and pays tribute to the heroes of the United States Armed Forces in several displays. Plus, you’ll be enchanted by the gorgeous light displays across the streets of downtown Collins, giving “It’s a Wonderful Life” vibes.
These are just a few of the many beautiful light displays throughout our state. If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to comment on our Facebook so that we can enjoy the hard work that so many have put into these beautiful displays to bring Christmas spirit to their hometown and beloved state.