Click the image above to view larger.
Tropical Storm Nate is continuing to make its way across the Caribbean towards the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and is predicted to become a Category 1 Hurricane when it reaches the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
According to WLOX, Nate is expected to reach land early Sunday morning somewhere between Louisiana and Florida, including South Mississippi.
As of 10 a.m., the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast is under a hurricane warning for Saturday night and Sunday, including the counties of Pearl River, Hancock, Harrison and Jackson. The National Hurricane Center issued the warning at 10 a.m. Friday. Parts of coastal Louisiana and Alabama are included in the warning.
A state of emergency has been issued in Biloxi, Bay St. Louis, Jackson County and George County ahead of the storm.
- Gulfport Music Festival will be compressed into one day on Friday at Jones Park in Gulfport. Ludacris, originally scheduled to perform Saturday, will perform Friday night after 3 Doors Down.
- Pascagoula River Audubon Center is canceling all programming this weekend. Will reopen for Toddler on Tuesday.
- Gulf Islands National Seashore officials will close all of areas of the national seashore including all Mississippi Islands to the public. All campers at Davis Bayou Campground in Ocean Springs must evacuate by noon Friday.
- St. James Fall Festival at the church on Cowan Road in Gulfport is postponed until next weekend.
- The Catholic Diocese of Biloxi’s 2017 Rosary Rally, scheduled for Sunday at Holy Family Catholic Church in Pass Christian, has been canceled.
- The Lighthouse Arts and Crafts Fair on Saturday at the Biloxi Visitors Center is canceled.
- Zonta Arts & Crafts Festival in downtown Pascagoula will be postponed. The 40th Annual Day in the Plaza will be Oct. 28.
- Westminster Presbyterian Church’s Fall Festival and blessing of the pets, scheduled for this Saturday, has been postponed until Oct. 21. It will still run 1-4 p.m. in Bayou View Park, Gulfport.
- The Gulf Coast Italian American Cultural Society annual Columbus Dinner set for Monday has been canceled.
- The de l’Epee Deaf Center in Gulfport has rescheduled its Spooktacular event to Oct. 21, from 4 to 7 p.m.
- The Walter Anderson Museum of Art in Ocean Springs is closed until Tuesday, Oct. 10, at 9 a.m.
- The Humane Society of South Mississippi will close Saturday to evacuate the shelter and make room for anticipated strays.
- The Jackson county Animal Shelter is closing at noon Friday and will remain closed Saturday.
John McFarland, director of the South Mississippi Chapter of the American Red Cross, said local emergency management directors will announce shelter openings later on Friday.
George County Board of Supervisors has announced they will open two shelters at 4 p.m. Saturday to be run by the American Red Cross and Department of Human services.
- Benndale Storm Shelter at 5207 U.S. 26 West
- Agricola Storm Shelter at 3161 Cooks Corner Road
Jackson County Shelters
East Jackson County
18413 Highway 613
Hurley, MS 39555
Central Jackson County
5500 Ballpark Road
Vancleave, MS 39565
West Jackson County
13000 Walker Road
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
For Hurricane Evacuation Plan, visit the Jackson County website www.co.jackson.ms.us