The Region 7-6A race wrapped up last week with the Pascagoula Panthers and D’Iberville Lady Warriors taking the top seeds for the upcoming league tournament that will take place in St. Martin.
The D’Iberville girls were the only team to rip through region play unbeaten, finishing at 6-0 after a win over visiting St. Martin Friday night.
The Ocean Springs Lady Greyhounds will be the second seed behind DHS after finishing 4-2 in league play, while Pascagoula is third at 2-4 and SMHS fourth at 0-6.
On the boys’ side of the bracket, the Panthers and Ocean Springs Greyhounds finished tied atop the region race both at 5-1 as they split their two-game season series with both teams winning at home. But PHS won the tie-breaker to get the top seed due to point differential, as the Panthers beat the Greyhounds 71-54 while OHS beat PHS 74-71.
D’Iberville is set as the third seed at 2-4, while SMHS is the fourth seed at 0-6.
The tourney is set for the week of Monday, Feb. 7th.
“The Starting 5 in the Southern 6”
It’s Week five of our “Starting 5 in the Southern 6” presented by 228 Sports.com in which each week throughout the rest of the prep basketball season we will highlight five individual performances from the following week as well as five upcoming games that week in our area to keep an eye on. You readers can help us out by sending us stats on your favorite players from the previous weeks’ games on our “228Sport” Facebook page as well as at “228Sports” on Twitter. We will consider all of those recommendations as we choose our “Starting 5 in the Southern 6” each week.
- James Turner, Biloxi: The senior standout Dandy Dozen shooting guard tallied a game-high 22 points in a last-second 68-66 loss to Pascagoula Saturday night and had a game-high 21 points in a 76-47 win over Harrison Central Thursday.
- Josh Holmes, Picayune: On Friday, Holmes led the Maroon Tide with 20 points in a 63-25 win over visiting Long Beach that wrapped up the Region 7-5A title for Picayune and then he poured in a game-high 23 points including five 3-point shots, as the Maroon Tide fell 61-60 to McGill-Toolen of Mobile, Ala.
- Troy Carter, Picayune: Carter combined with Holmes to five the Maroon Tide a dynamic duo over the weekend as he chipped in 16 points to the league-win over LBHS Friday night and then tallied added 22 points including six 3-pointers in the close loss to MGT in Hoopsfest Saturday.
- Shaneal Copuz, Biloxi: The senior standout Corpuz paced Biloxi with 18 points, nine rebounds and five blocks in a close 36-35 win over Harrison Central on Thursday in Region 8-6A play and then posted a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds in a 56 -17 win over Pascagoula Saturday at Hoopsfest.
- Taylor Hopgood, West Harrison: The senior forward ran roughshod through Pearl River County last week. On Tuesday she led the way for the Lady Canes in a 48-26 win over Picayune with 18 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and three blocks and she followed that up on Friday with an 11-point, seven rebound, six assist and three block performance for WHHS in a 42-23 win over Pearl River Central guiding her team to 11 straight wins and a 6-0 mark in Region 7-6A play.
- Harrison Central girls at Gulfport (Tuesday)
- Gautier boys at Pascagoula (Tuesday)
- D’Iberville girls at Pass Christian (Tuesday) & Ocean Springs girls at Hancock (Tuesday)
- Gulfport girls at Gautier (Friday)
- Pascagoula boys at Moss Point (Friday)
post was originally published on More Sports