Although we’re just two weeks into the New Year, many have set resolutions that they are determined to keep. A top resolution is to lose weight and get in shape. But while you’re putting in all that hard work, it wouldn’t necessarily be breaking your resolution if you had a really good hamburger to reward yourself for all that time in the gym.
If you’re looking for some of the best hamburgers in the state, Hattiesburg has some excellent choices. So if you’re looking for a few good options, we’ve put together the following list just for you.
- Hattiesburger and Blues – They have some of the most delicious hamburgers and hotdogs you’ve ever tasted. In the bluesy type atmosphere with great music to serenade you while you eat. My personal favorite is the “Homewrecker.” Doused in chili and cheese, pickles, and red onions, believe me, you won’t regret ordering it or any of the other delectable menu items.
- Coney Island Café – Founded in 1923 and still family owned to this day, this fun vintage atmosphere of the café adds to the fabulous offerings. It’ll be hard to choose between the classic burgers, po-boys, and open-faced sandwiches, featuring hot steak, hot ham, and hot roast beef, but it’s a guarantee that you’ll love whatever you order.
- Murky Waters BBQ – The home of blues, brews, and bbq has something for everyone. The Beale Street Burger, a seven-ounce handcrafted burger topped with chopped sirloin steak, melted cheese, and bacon, is top favorite among diners, but the Murky Waters BBQ Sandwich and BBQ King Burger with pulled pork and all the dressings are right at the top choices of those that like some BBQ with their Blues.
- Ed’s Burger Joint – This fun, family type atmosphere is said to feature some of the “best burgers this side of the Mason Dixon Line.” The Burger with seven ounces of certified Angus ground beef on a freshly baked bun, the Bacon Cheeseburger with crisp applewood smoked bacon and American cheese, and the Chili-Cheeseburger smothered in Texas-style chili with shredded cheddar and grilled onions are some of the top selections. And the Comeback Burger with pepper jack, mushrooms, onion rings, jalapeños, and comeback sauce will definitely have you coming back.
- The Crescent City Grill – A must try at the Crescent City is the Big Easy Burger. It features locally source Coyote Pointe Beef, topped with cheddar and jack cheeses with a delicious topping of caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms. If po-boys are more to your liking, there are two selections that you simply can’t go wrong with. The Shrimp Po-Boy features Mississippi Gulf Coast shrimp served on toasted French bread with their own special remoulade sauce and all the dressings. The New Orleans Sloppy Roast Beef Po-Boy will make your mouth water with the 12-hour braised roast beef covered with gravy and Swiss cheese with their special mayo mustard mix.
- The Porter Public House – Every month, Chef Robert and his staff create a unique and delicious “Burger of the Month.” If you’re feeling like a little something different, try the Hair of the Dog Burger, featuring certified Angus beef, Bloody Mary mayo, bacon, cheddar, fried pickles and a fried egg on a brioche bun. But if you’re not feeling that adventurous, you’ll still be delighted with the Porter Pub Cheeseburger, Jalapeño Crunch Burger, and the Cajun Comeback Burger.
- The Keg and Barrel – If you like your burgers a little bit spicy and a little bit sweet, try the Hawaiian Burger. This bbq burger on a jalapeño cheddar bun features pepperjack, jalapeños, and pineapple. For those that aren’t carnivores, there is the Woodstock with a homemade veggie patty with provolone and garlic mayo on a brioche bun. But for those diners that like their food a little hot and spicy, try the Dirty Diana Deluxe with pepperjack, provolone and American cheese and bacon on a brioche bun or the Pepper Jaquelyn with pepperjack and fried jalapeños on a jalapeño cheddar bun.
You really can’t go wrong with any of these tasty hamburgers at some of the Hub City’s top restaurants. There’s just too many selections to list right here, but we do have a good idea that we think you’ll like. Have a little fun and go on the Hatties(BURGER) trail. The trail features 33 locations that foodies from all over can have fun trying out. It’s a fun and delicious way to check out the city.
You can check out the trail here.