Have you ever wondered what life is really like under the sea? Ever dream about being a mermaid or adventurer that dives among the creatures of the deep? Well, you are definitely in luck because the Mississippi Aquarium will give you all those experiences and so much more.
Voted as the nation’s fourth-best new attraction last year by USA Today, this stunning attraction offers a very interesting look at the state’s aquatic life, ranging from the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico to the Delta region and to the eponymous river in stunning and exciting fashion.
Here are just a handful of reasons why you should definitely be planning your trip there soon.
- Check out the latest attraction, the Sea TREK Experience. You’ll be guided on a one-of-a-kind underwater adventure as you’ll be fully immersed into the aquatic habit (don’t worry—swimming skills aren’t needed for this adventure), but you’ll be treated to a personal and up close experience with sharks, rays, fish of all kinds, and so much more.
- The Dolphin Encounter. You’ll get to pet and feed these adorable mammals of the sea while you learn more about the bottlenose dolphins that inhabit our very own coastline. This is sure to be an experience of a lifetime.
- You’ll get to learn about all types of sea animals that you may have never even heard of before. Ever heard of a Green Moray Eel, Red Billed Hornbill, Sheepshead, or a Green Winged Dove? If not, here’s your chance to get a glimpse of them and hear lots of interesting facts about them.
- Get a chance to see the American Alligators and Crocodiles, Cownose Ray, Southern Ray, Atlantic Porkfish, North American River Otters, Paddlefish, Green Sea Turtles, Nurse Sharks, and so much more.
- Take an Eco-Tour as you take a voyage on the Pan American Clipper. A trip aboard the 75-passenger boat docked at the Gulfport Small Craft Harbor will be a fabulous adventure as the 90-minute eco-cruise will enlighten you more on the very unique wildlife and ecology of the Gulf of Mexico, and you’ll get a chance to see the conservation work being done by Aquarium scientists and research partners.
- Take a tour behind the scenes as you’re guided on a 30-minute walking tour of the aquarium facilities and support locations. You’ll learn more about all the love and care goes into taking care of the animals every day. Don’t miss this “up-close glimpse of life behind the Seas.”
- Maybe you’d like to get fit and become one with the seas at Fin and Zen Yoga. It’s a surreal experience as you’re led through a course of Vinyasa yoga in the underwater tunnel as fish, sharks, stingrays, and other types of sea animals swim casually all around you. This calming experience will have you flow like the fish in the sea and you’ll experience a type of “nirvana” that can only be found under the sea.
- Enjoy some delicious cuisine at the Pelican Pointe Café. After a long day of adventures in the sea, you’ll be ready for some of their delicious treats such as bayou’s nachos, a shark bite burger, blackened shrimp tacos, Arcadian salads, pretzels, hot dogs, and so much more. Or you can dine al fresco and watch the gorgeous wonders of the Gulf Coast all around you.
- Before you leave, you’ve got to make a stop at the Gulf Shop to take home a reminder of your fabulous day exploring the sea and the interesting animals that live here. You might even want to adopt a sea animal of your own.
Mississippi is blessed to be home to so many beautiful and interesting animals of the sea and the land, and this is a perfect outing for the whole family. Come explore the sea at the Mississippi Aquarium.