Known as the Hillbilly Cat to the King of Rock and Roll, there is without a doubt that our home state boy, Elvis Presley, will forever be an iconic figure. He’s known for his amazing library of music, his many movies, and his incomparable acts of philanthropy and charity. Elvis and his music are known worldwide and his legacy continues to stay strong.
This Friday, January 8, would have been Elvis’ 86th birthday. Typically, there is a huge celebration in Memphis, the home of his beloved Graceland, but due to Covid-19 restrictions, the celebration has been scaled back quite a bit, but you can view the festivities through a Livestream on the official Graceland Facebook page.
But we’ve got a few ways to have your own celebration to commemorate the amazing talent of our Mississippi and worldwide legend Elvis Presley.
- Crank up the tunes. Listen to your favorite Elvis songs (it’s hard for me to choose but it would be a tie between “Burning Love” and “Always on My Mind” or “The American Trilogy” or…well I could go on and on but I’ll stop there). Whatever songs you choose from the King of Rock and Roll are great. From his earliest cuts to his Grammy-winning gospel album, Elvis’ music has a timeless quality that will never be forgotten.
- You’ve got to try your hand at Elvis’ favorite snack, fried peanut butter, and banana sandwich. They are a tradition at our home and believe me they are delicious. If you need some help cooking up this treat, you can do a search on the Internet, but it’s really simple. Spread on the peanut butter, slice as many bananas you want on there, and butter it up to fry like a grilled cheesed sandwich.
- While you’re having your legendary Elvis sandwich, you’ve got to watch a few of his movies or concerts, especially the concerts. It’s a great way to watch this legend perform on the stage. No one captivated a crowd like Elvis. From love songs to his first rock and roll hits, Elvis had the power to cast a musical spell over any crowd and it’s amazing to watch the master at work.
- If you can, tune into the Livestream festivities happening in Elvis’ beloved city of Memphis. You’ll feel like you’re a part of the official celebration. As was the tradition while he was alive, Elvis always kept the Christmas decorations up until his birthday. Maybe you’ll get a glimpse of his home in holiday décor or the fans that still come from around the world to celebrate him and his amazing talent.
- More than anything, take some time to celebrate the incredible talent of the little boy that haled from our home state. It’s mind-blowing to think that he made such an impact on the entire world and his music is still as prominent today as it was when it was first recorded. Elvis’ timeless music will never go out of style and this weekend is a great time to celebrate it in your own special way.
For those that were raised on Elvis’ music or if you’re introducing a new generation to his incredible talent, don’t forget to mark January 8 on your calendar to enjoy and honor the amazing music of our very own Mississippi boy, Elvis Presley. Thank you, thank you very much. TCB!
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!