Kiwanis Club of Pascagoula recently awarded scholarships totaling $1,500 to six local students.
The scholarships, worth $250, were awarded to the following students based on their civic engagement, volunteerism and academic performance:
- Michelle Trejo Acevedo (Gautier High School graduate)
- Lauren Bowlin (Resurrection Catholic High School graduate)
- Lana Hults (Gautier High School graduate)
- Emma Landry (Resurrection High School graduate)
- Avery Loper (Resurrection High School graduate)
- Kamoriya Walley (Pascagoula High School graduate)
The Kiwanis Club’s Scholarship Committee is chaired by Joyce Bell-Washington.
Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to improving the world one child and one community at a time. To achieve this goal, the club supports several community service and volunteer projects each year. These include distributing dictionaries to area third-graders each year, providing accelerated reader books to second-graders, recognizing the academic accomplishments of fourth-graders, awarding citizenship certificates to first-graders, sponsoring Key Clubs in three area high schools, sponsoring the Aktion Club for adults with special needs, sponsoring the Circle K club at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, awarding scholarships to graduating high school seniors and funding various local non-profits.